Tuesday, October 08, 2013

My days, these days (Weekday edition).

The school year started in August, and with it, new rhythms, new daily routines. I knew it'd be very busy, and indeed, things are chugging along here at a regular clip. The inconsistent weather (85 degrees in October!?) also doesn't help register that the weeks are cascading by. The new job is really great. Top notch. Very nice colleagues, nice students, and a really nice place. I feel really fortunate about it all. The novelty of the new school and the new town has slowly turned into a dependable routine, and I'm really enjoying it. This town is great for good food, the historic buildings are nice to look at, and it's just generally an interesting place to be. The work, as satisfying as it is, is also exhausting. Lest I let another six weeks sail past without any mention of it, I've illustrated a brief sequence to chronicle how many of my days are spent: 1) Wake up [early], wishing there was a little more time to sleep. 2) Walk to school. 3) Teach my class. Sometimes the students seem engaged, riveted, even, by the subject matter. Other times, we slog through. 4) I do work in my office. Sometimes these hours are broken up by meetings: with colleagues, with students. Other times, I have the place to myself to chip away at my many projects in the works. 5) After business hours, I dash home to make some dinner. 6) After dinner, it's back to school for...7) A screening! One of the joys of this job is getting to watch (and rewatch) so many great films. Truly a treat. A few weeks ago, we watched The Shining (pictured here). 8) The film wraps up by 9 or 10. I am tired, but try to sit with my work just a little longer. Or I prep for the next day's class. In the morning, it all starts again. Day Comic 01Day Comic 02

3 comments:

Holly said...

O my gosh - so amazingly creative! Thanks for sharing...

kasha said...

love this!

maggie in america said...

The Shining panel is amazingggg.