Monday, June 10, 2013

Summer Reading

Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons (1930). A perfect book (a 12-book series, actually) to get readers into the summer spirit. The book chronicles the summer adventures of four siblings camping out on a little island, sailing around, confronting and forming alliances with a band of pirates (two other kids named Nancy and Peggy). It's a little bit like the Boxcar Children series...so much of it is very procedural: describing the provisions they bring to their island camp, learning new wilderness skills, cooking, swimming, and sailing. It's been a delightful read at the beginning of a delightful summer. (Picture above is a still from the 1974 film adaptation--it strikes me as a pre-Wes Anderson aesthetic).


 

3 comments:

L. Mangones said...

Love the books and love the film! I bought the movie from the UK a few years back and switched the dvd player on my computer to region 2 so that we could watch it. It is just right for the beginning of summer!

Julie said...

No offense Meredith, but I love your blog.

Meredith said...

Laura: That's so awesome that you have the movie! And I like that you were dedicated enough to change the region on your player. I'd love to watch it some time (and read my way through the whole series).
Julie: Oh thanks! I miss you. =)