Monday, May 14, 2012

Phew.

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
This weekend I finally reached the point at which I could circulate the first draft of my dissertation. After months of constant thinking, writing, deleting, rewriting, rearranging, and worrying, it was in a good enough (or complete enough? Perhaps not good) state that I could send it off, send it out. I had pulled several late, late nights prior to the glorious day, squinting at footnotes until the wee hours, so it was a huge relief to finish it. I know there's still so much work to be done, but for now, I am just thrilled and proud of myself
for getting through this part. To celebrate, I spent the majority of the weekend away from the computer. Lots of nice neighborhood walks, a somewhat disappointing dinner at a favorite restaurant with a sadly changed menu, brunch at Chelsea Market, hanging out in the park (with my new sunglasses--a revolutionary way to see the world), pupusas at smorgasburg, an early-ish walk through midtown on a Sunday (something I hardly ever do). I got a new novel on my kindle (Ann Patchett's State of Wonder) and eagerly sped through much of it. I was thinking about how much the novel reminded me of Fitzcarraldo, and then sure enough, the characters mention wanting to watch it. Fine weather and leisure time, what a thrill.

No comments: