Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Blocks! (Part 1)


Last year I said that I wanted to make a set of blocks like these, and the perfect opportunity arose when Christmas came and went and I neglected to get anything for my two darling nephews around the globe. Don't feel too bad--they always have an overabundant holiday haul and I figured that I might wait until I could make them something homemade then just add to the pile of toys they were already getting.


I used 1.25" cubes and painted each side a different color (solid or with a combo of two triangles). It's a pretty labor-intensive process to have to wait for each side to dry before applying additional coats and taping/un-taping/and re-taping to make the lines crisp. I was happy with the first set of twenty blocks, so I made a few more with a slightly modified color palette for a few other youngsters I know. With the second batch, I used a sort of stencil set up instead of tape to make the lines of the triangles. It was a bit sloppier and I wasn't as happy with it. So it's back to taping (despite the extra time it adds). I finished the blocks with matte finish mod podge. It dries a little tacky, but works just fine.

You can make so many awesome patterns with them! Stay tuned for a follow up post with a variation of this project. More blocks, more fun.




I also made a short animation with these blocks, which you can watch here.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Those are awesome Meredith. I think I feel a project coming on.

la_sale_bete said...

Thanks! Yes, they're a great project. I'd love to see yours when you're finished!

Scott said...

Where did you get the cubes? Thanks!

la_sale_bete said...

Hi Scott,
I got them from
http://www.craftparts.com/
I think they were about $20 or $30 for 100 cubes. There are lots of places you can find them online. I think I used the 1.25" size.
Hope this helps--if you make a set, I'd love to see the results!
-Meredith