Monday, January 24, 2011

Like a handful of ducks in the fog


These past weeks I have been busy adjusting to a new schedule. For a few days each week, I am filling in for a teaching artist at two schools (a high school and an elementary school). Now a lot of my time is spent coming up with activities that will hopefully be fun and engaging for the students. So far, I must admit it's been much less like Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Minds and much more like Mr. Prezbo on his first day teaching on The Wire. Hopefully that will change in a few more sessions, though it's difficult to step in as a substitute midyear. There's been way more work to do these days, but the good news is I've finally accepted that I am a good evening worker. Sometimes my most productive hours are just after the "normal" workday finishes. With no alternatives, I've had to embrace this, and I'm happy to report that there seems to be just enough time for everything on most days. Hopefully that will continue. This week, I made pesto for a pizza (with a store-bought Boboli crust while I continue working on perfecting my homemade one). Above is a drawing from this summer.

5 comments:

Jill said...

You would be awesome in a classroom Meredith!

I so wish I could join you to eat that pizza.

SMandL said...

Two points: (1) you should teach those kids calculus, preparing them for the advanced placement exam and (2) you should make that pizza for me.

Holly said...

i want some Meredith Boboli!! and, i am proud of you for stretching to embrace the inescapable....you inspire me.

plumpdumpling said...

OH. Substitute teaching! It's so obvious. And art! What fun.

I feel so far away from you now that I've moved 8 whole miles. Please come down and have a buffalo chicken quesadilla with me soon!

la_sale_bete said...

Jill: Thanks! I hope to get my A-game back in the classroom soon. And I wish we could eat pizza together.
Shaun: I cannot teach these kids 3rd grade math, let alone calculus. Maybe Coolio was singing in the background...
Holly: Thanks! The pizza was good, though homemade would have been better.
Katie: I miss you! Yes, Buffalo Chicken soon...tell me when.