Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Time Zones: Pacific


Happy October, and as usual, I'm brimming with overdue remarks about the events of late. At the end of the month, I was happily able to travel westward to see my family amidst the pines just as the seasons began to change, and perhaps unsurprisingly neglected to take any photos during the visit. It was still a great time, though. Always a treat when most (or even all, though not this time) of us are able to converge in a single location. And the next week, my dear friends E and B were married in Santa Barbara, so it was another happy reunion for me. I assisted in procuring the flowers for the wedding at Los Angeles' famous flower market at 4 am one morning, which was quite an experience: scrutinizing hydrangeas before the sun has risen.

Although the visit was very short (too short, I'd venture) when Jordan and I drove up the coast in our pistachio colored rental car, we managed to stop briefly for a beach frolic, which was really nice.

The wedding tables were all movie-themed, and we were seated at the Meatballs table. Although I haven't seen the film, we eventually surmised that the table was so-named because Meatballs allegedly takes place at a camp, and for a short, magical moment in our lives, many of us lived in a picturesque row of cottages together that very closely resembled a summer camp (but is, in fact, a row of summer houses built for wealthy people form the 1910s to the 1940s). They are now occupied year-round, but still not winterized. It was a very special time.

And now? Now; I've hopped many, many time zones over, from Los Angeles to Chicago to London and now Venice, where I've embarked on my own little version of Eat, Pray, Love. That’s not entirely accurate. I'm lucky enough to be attending Le Giornate del Cinema Muto for the second year in a row, and then will be off traveling for research. Hopefully the travels will prove both cathartic and productive. So far, so good.

2 comments:

Holly said...

so glad you posted. i've been thinking about you and hoping that all is going well...

Emilie said...

Eat, Pray, Love. YES! Meredith Bak's version is bound to be compelling - no boring me to sleep, unlike some other gals. Can't wait to read/eat it up.