Thursday, July 01, 2010

All those small investments

Summer is here. I have six mosquito bites on my left leg. None on my right. The power company has begun its annual plea for everyone to turn of their "nonessential" electronic items, lest there be a blackout/brownout, and the community pool opened this week, which has been an awesome and refreshing treat. I can ride my bike there, take a dip, and come home to work. Today I was waiting in line to get in, and when they opened the door, the rowdy group of boys behind me nudged each other and said they were going to "skip" in line. I turned around and gave them a look, and one of them turned to the others and said "don't skip in front of that lady." Nice. The local CSA started, so every other week we get a ton of farm-fresh produce, whatever is growing. Here's a meal from a few weeks ago using some of the delicious ingredients: brie and spinach sandwiches with pepper/pasta salad with fresh peas. It was so good.

Did you see Sprout in this month's Martha Stewart Living? She is amazing! She modeled a collar with an enormous fake magnolia on it. Honestly, the collar is not Sprout's style at all, but she modeled it with grace and poise. Obviously I'm very proud of her. The caption in the magazine says she's a "pooch from the Magnolia State," though Sprout was [presumably] born and bred in the Empire State. She's a city girl. If you haven't had a chance to see it, it's on pg. 41 of the July issue. Luckily the fame hasn't gotten to her head. She's still pretty low key. Holly sent us this great book about dogs and Sprout couldn't put it down!

5 comments:

Jill said...

I totally saw Sprout in the magazine! I've been showing all my friends. She looks lovely, although you can tell that flower wearing is not really her thing.

P.S. I also want to eat that dinner you photographed. YUM!

Becky B. said...

Your food looks amazing. When should I expect my dinner invitation?

la_sale_bete said...

Jill - I love that you saw Sprout and showed her to your pals! I agree it's sort of a silly craft, but it was fun to see her with a frilly collar for a day.
Becky - You know you've got a lifetime standing invite to dinner around these parts, though I think we all know that dinner is usually much more delicious at your house!

Unapologetically Mundane said...

Also, I am interested in what city pools are like. For real, though, let me know.

la_sale_bete said...

You definitely get what you pay for a the public pool--it's free, and there are no frills. It's pretty rad and fun, though. If you want to have a pool party, we should do it!