Monday, April 05, 2010

Norse Course (a collection of vikings)

I've been wanting to make a viking-themed mobile for awhile, so this week I started looking around for some examples.

These two (from Flensted) are both really nice. (available from Velocity
and Design Public).
Ideally, the one I'd construct would have both ships and viking figures. Possibly a dragon, and some sort of tasteful representation of pillaging and plundering, though that will take a little more thought.
I figured while I was hunting for vikings, I might as well check out some toys, too. You know, for inspiration.

Here are some of the most fun-looking toys that I found. From L to R, top to bottom: Vicky the Viking, from Intrafin; Ryohei Yanagihara's viking, from j_pidgeon's flickr photostream; Jacob Jensen's wooden vikings, circa 1958, from modern 50; Asterix (technically a Gaul, but of the same variety), from Imaginaire; Vintage Bubble Boy bottle, from Ruby Lane; and the Fisher Price model, from This Old Toy.

By far, my very favorite vikings are Sandra Monet's. These beauties are all available from her site.


After all of these viking-related thoughts, the archetypal horned helmet will figure prominently in my imagination for quite some time.

5 comments:

Jill said...

I'm in love with the plates!

Did you see 'How to Train Your Dragon?' We saw it today and loved it. What a great flick.

Post a picture of your finished mobile. Can't wait to see it.

By the way, I'm planning to come to New York at the end of May. You better be there or I'll change my visit for when you will be. I can't wait to see you.

la_sale_bete said...

AAHH!
I'm going to be out of town from the night of the 27th to Monday the 31st. I'm not going to miss you, am I? Please say no.

Noodles said...

Yay, vikings! How fun! You are much more creative and interesting than I am. I just try to use my "excited Oprah voice" to make the normal seem more exciting to my boys.

when skies are grey said...

I love the boat mobile and actually most of the other things here as well :)

la_sale_bete said...

With a collection of all of these things, one could throw a marvelous viking-themed party!