Wednesday, May 26, 2010

All things boxed and beautiful


(Here are two box people I drew. A portrait of modern courtship).

Remember the pair of boxy fellows who emerged into three glorious dimensions last summer? Well, my preoccupation with box-like creatures has persisted, resulting in the creation of several more of them over the last few months. In an effort to refine the whole box operation, I upgraded to cardstock. The first creation was this green dude, which I gave to Stig for his birthday.

Then while I was in the country a few weeks ago, I saw this awesome little drawer in an antique store. It was billed as a "shadowbox," but it's obviously a drawer where the letters for a printing press were stored. Unfortunately, I'm a sucker for anything with a lot of little compartments, no matter how impractical said compartments are. These, for example, are only about 1.25 inches tall. What would I put in these, you ask? Paper clips? Googly eyes? Other office supplies? Oh no. I intended to transform the drawer into a thriving metropolis of miniature box people, each occupying their own tiny quadrant.

Here they are in production:

Apparently, I'm not the only one with a love of boxes. Here are some great box heads from P Williams (via The Lumper).



Naturally, relatively early on, the thought occurred to make box creatures out of wood. I was on the same page as Ingela P. Arrhenius, whose work I found via Kickcan & Conkers.


Then just today, I found this awesome book (Majster Klepka na Osce) via Anorak magazine, which is always stunning and impressive. Unfortunately, I don't know Polish (?) so I can't really tell what's going on. But it's beautiful, and available here.


Variations on a theme. Personified boxes galore.

9 comments:

Kickcan and Conkers said...

For info, I will be selling Master Klepja and other books by Pan Tu Nie Stal in my soon to open online shop.

Matt Beers said...

I absolutely love this post. I love everything about it, from the box people to the impossible drawer to the wooden tiger. I'm totally inspired. I want to rush out and build an army of box people... and maybe some tiny robots for them to battle.

Jill said...

Love the shadow box/square people idea. You must post a picture of it all filled up.

Hyejean said...

i love ingela parrhenius's stuff.
and your box people of course.
i remember i had the honor of seeing #1 and #2 in your kitchen!

w. leavitt said...

thinks are really coming together in that apt. of yours. nice work.

Holly said...

TAG...you're IT
I have been tagged to play this game by :

"http://followbarbsbliss.blogspot.com"

you are hereby 'tagged'...check out my blog for today....

Knitting-twitter said...

hi.. by clicking on next blog.. I entered yours.. and I love it!!!
all the best from Switzerland.. Christa

la_sale_bete said...

Hi Christa!
Thanks for visiting! I hope you'll come back often!
:)

silvia santos said...

Que lindo !!!!!!!
Gostei muito da ideia.
Silvia