Thursday, January 28, 2010

Happy Birthday Noodles!

Today it's my big sister's birthday. Happy Birthday, Noodles! There is a ten year age difference between the two of us, which means we could have easily lived pretty separate lives. But Noodles has always worked extra hard to make sure that wouldn't happen. For as far back as I can remember, she has gone out of her way to make sure we get quality time together. She is the best sister. When I was a really little kid, she made me a photo album of pictures of my earliest years. I think she was fifteen or sixteen when she did it, and she tucked a note in the back that said "I hope you know how much I love you!" Oh, and I do. When I was in first or second grade, she took me to the zoo in Washington, D.C. and we had a great day there, and she bought me a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles water bottle. Awesome! When she went away to college, she sent me nice letters and packages with candies and holiday-themed socks. And when she was finished with college, she found a job in our hometown and she moved back for many of my middle and high school years. Of course I didn't think about it at the time, but how great is it that we got to know each other and hang out all the time during those years? It's pretty special. When I was in college, I would go and visit her on the east coast, which was exotic and adventurous, and she'd take great care of me. I've always sort of thought of Noodles as an adult, but now I've caught up a little bit with her and I'm an adult, too. Ho hum. Even though the ten year gulf between us feels like it's shrunk a little bit, Noodles is still always on the lookout for nice big sisterly things to do for me. We live on different continents, and in different hemispheres. Sometimes I look at the map at where we both are, and it's kind of strange. Not only do we live in different times, but also in different seasons. Still, it doesn't seem too far. Noodles: I hope you have a happy, happy day! And now for some semi-unflattering pictures.

Here is Noodles wearing a Christmas tree skirt (much like Bernice in Designing Women).

Here we are at Columbus Circle when Noodles visited me during my first year here. She came up for a visit in the spring (or summer?) and we had a grand time--taking lewd photos of the cupcakes at Whole Foods (I couldn't readily find a picture of that...) and visiting the Met and hanging out in Hell's Kitchen. It was awesome. Noodles and Ruby helped me settle in when I moved to New York and when I moved to California. How lucky is that? Even though we usually live thousands of miles apart, she just happened to be there both times when I could really use her help. She and Ruby patiently helped me get my boxes where they needed to go, took me in their car to get supplies and home essentials, and always made sure I was settled in okay before leaving. What a nice, nice sister.

Here we are posing with some enormous wheels in Canada. Don't let the frontier background fool you--this was the mid 1990s (as evidenced by our hair and fashion choices). During that trip, we drove for hours through Alberta with our parents. On the way back home, we stopped in B.C. for mini-golf. I was glad for her company as we passed endless Canadian prairies.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Oh the jealousy! As you know, I have no sisters so I just get so jealous of people who do. Noodles sounds like a fabulous person. I think we should meet someday. Although, if she lives in a different country that may be difficult.

Happy Birthday Noodles!

Matt Beers said...

You make me want to be more interesting. And I hardly read any of your entries. I looked at your pictures and am very inspired to make a slightly more intentional effort. Thank you and have a very pleasant day.

Noodles said...

Hmmm... wonder why it says "Noodles said" There must be a problem on the server right now. It must mean "anonymous stranger said..."Wow, I can't believe that there aren't more comments. I mean, there aren't a lot of people who have sisters as great as this noodles person sounds. She is lucky to have a sister like you too though. :) You could have maybe found some more flattering shots or at least taken our her red eye. Oh well. Probably good for people to know that she has one or two flaws.

kasha said...

love this, meredith - it gives me inspiration on how to be an awesome (much) older sister! noodles thanks for the inspiration, i'm totally gonna borrow some of your style. ;)