Tuesday, December 22, 2009

As long as it's changing in knots, Mr. Denkler

For now, it's goodbye, SoCal, hello, Elsewhere. On my last night in town, Ryan miraculously discovered ten episodes of Law and Order, SVU (season 11) that we hadn't seen. After we ate at Sojourner, we settled in for a minimarathon of the implausible antics of Benson and Stabler. The next day, I'd intended to quietly make peace with leaving such a nice, seaside town. The tranquility I'd banked on sort of fell apart when holiday adventure plans were modified and my expectations for the first leg of my journey were altered (if not dashed entirely). This was all because of the vortex of winter weather slurping up the east coast, something that seems particularly alien to someone in Southern California. So instead of a quiet day with perhaps a stroll to the beach, there was a frantic feeling to the last day, and I ended up clunking off to the airport with my 56 pound piece of luggage feeling a little disquieted. To spare me the charge of overweight baggage, the nice man at the counter enabled me to extract 6 pounds worth of items from my suitcase, so there I was, disembowling my tightly-packed bag, not thinking straight and removing the most cumbersome items--my towel, a pair of high tops, etc. My neatly-organized underwear exposed, my holiday sweaters all mussed. More humiliating than a crowded public laundry. To accompany my carry-on, then, I had a charming sleeping bag bag stuffed with random items not typically traveled with. Hobo supreme.

After a very good night's sleep, things are looking up, though. Having some good hang out times despite myself, including The Bad Lieutenant with Nat (oh, Werner Herzog) and an amazing Top Chef cooking extravaganza with E & B, featuring steak, lambchops, asparagus, green beans, fried mac and cheese balls, pumpkin bread pudding, goat cheese pasta, and other delights. This evening I'm fully leaving the cacti and palms behind as I go up north, where the temperatures are low but the holiday spirits will hopefully be high.

I also finally found those beautiful ties I'd seen on the Lower East Side last summer (or perhaps this fall?)
The Hill-Side.
Gorgeous, but with a pretty silly price.

And also: before sending the sewing machine off, one last creation--a practical one. A pencil case to hold my pencils, pens, erasers, and other art supplies. I used canvas fabric, and at this point, I'd already sent away my button collection, but had the great fortune of discovering this big button (perfect for the project) in a puddle. Gross/awesome.

6 comments:

Jill said...

My anxiety levels are high today, due to being trapped in the house with two, very excited about Chirstmas, five year old boys (you can imagine), but I could feel my blood pressure decresing as I read your blog. I know it's unrealistic, but I could seriously read post of yours all day.

Merry Christmas M. Bak. Good luck with the next new segment of your exciting life that will be starting on the East Coast.

Noodles said...

You know the reusable bag I gave you? I keep it in its pouch clipped to my carryon when I travel. Then if I have overpacked my bag (which hasn't happened since I bought my little hand held luggage scale) I can pull out a few of the small but heavy items and throw them in that bag. So tricky, yes? Maybe I will have to get you a scale.

la_sale_bete said...

oh, jill. thanks for your kind words. i got your fantastic xmas card today--thanks so much!
noodles. genius idea! i almost always have my reusable bag on hand for exactly that kind of situation, though in the hurry of my move, i think i may have packed it. Q: what is not handy? A: having that bag in a box that is not accessible to you...

sunsetandcamden said...

I just think it's awesome that you found the perfect button in a puddle.

kasha said...

Let me follow up Noodles' excellent packing suggestions with one of my own (and I second that handheld luggage scale - my dad has one and it's essential to my travel back/forth from Hawai'i): ebags packing cubes. I know I'm doing a product placement, but they have really revolutionized my travel experience. And they could prevent you the embarrassment of exploding underwear in the airport. Though I have a funny story about that...
Also, fried mac and cheese balls?! I need that recipe.

la_sale_bete said...

kasha, thanks for the suggestion! I've been reading all the amazing reviews of the ebag cubes and only wish i'd known to buy some even for the second leg of my current travels. they sound great; hopefully i'll order them before my next trip.
i'll also try to find the mac n cheese recipe--they were delicious!