Monday, November 30, 2009

Maybe it's a monster, but it came straight from the heart

When I was growing up, my friend Dan had a really awesome quilt that was made primarily from old jeans. It was heavier weight, which was fun, and filled with little pockets, which were perfect for creating a rich landscape for our action figures to inhabit. This year when deaccessioning my old jeans (some back from high school, even), I decided to salvage the fabric to make into a similar quilt. As you'll see, I included lots of other fabrics as well. Too many, as it turns out. It's a patchwork that's gone terribly awry, and I wish I'd used fewer contending patterns. Still, I had a lot of fun piecing the chaotic thing together. Halfway through, I'd forgotten what sizes of seams I'd been using, so it doesn't line up so well, but it does have a lot of fun, idiosyncratic details. Jordan embroidered my initials on a piece of fabric, which I included, and I sewed a small red anchor onto the pocket of my jeans once, and the pocket found its way onto the quilt. So even though it's stylistically out of control, I'm still pretty happy with the end result and look forward to hunkering down with it this winter.

5 comments:

Jill said...

I love it! I little piece of you.

Holly said...

gorgeous.....just like you!

Ruth said...

Dear M-----
This is Gram and just viewed your very attractive with the help of Holly. I it is adorable.

Love & hugs

Ruth said...

I forgot the most important word--QUILT

kasha said...

totally incredible. love it. tell me you're not still using a hand sewing machine...