Saturday, September 12, 2009

Illuminating the nursery

In preparation for my exams, I've been reading a lot about philosophies of childhood, and about children's material culture. During a "study break," I was searching around Etsy and came across a few interesting kids' lamps. Some of these look creepy enough in bright light; I can only imagine how much menacing their shadows would be in a kid's room at night. Lots of these are listed by multiple sellers, and I've only linked to those with the best photos, not necessarily the lowest prices, so when you go to buy all of them (as you undoubtedly will), do bear in mind that a little looking might yield a better deal. Anyway, for your enjoyment:

A fiendish clown operating what appears to be either a one-wheeled wagon without a steering mechanism, or an oversized lemon slice.


Available here.

Two snobby Victorian giraffes take a walk.

Available here.

Humpty Dumpty braces himself for the worst.

Available here.

An equally precarious variation of Humpty Dumpty. Having to balance a lightbulb socket atop his head probably didn't help with his balance.

Available here.

Two bears and some honey.

Available here.

A boy, a girl, and a cat hanging out. This one is also apparently musical and the girl eerily rocks back and forth in her chair.

Available here.

4 comments:

Jill said...

I like the precariously perched Humpty Dumpty. So glad you're blogging again.

Nellie Killian said...

I have that last lamp! It was in my room growing up.

la_sale_bete said...

Nellie! That's amazing that you had that lamp. Is it still packed away somewhere? It's pretty awesome.

Nellie Killian said...

It's still in my childhood bedroom. Mine is painted with darker colors. You turn the cat to make music play!