Monday, May 04, 2009

Venturing into diagonal territory


Another outstanding weekend. Of late, I've been feeling somewhat isolated (I rarely leave this funny little town) and a little bit hermetic. I feel like I need to get out more and carpe the diem a little bit better. It's something I've got to work on. This weekend was a good one, though. Ethan's Aunt Chiggy was in town with her two dogs (Butch and Matilda) and I got to dog sit them on Friday evening. I had a scavenger hunt and many fun babysitting activities all planned for them, but they weren't particularly interested. I did get to watch TV, though, which was a rare luxury. Had a little bike ride this weekend, went to the beach not once, but twice! On Saturday evening, I asked Ryan, Dave, and Jeff if they wanted to go on a beach walk, and I proceeded to take them on one of my infamous never-ending journeys. I recall in high school once cajoling a group of friends to follow me down the Spokane River until we found a bridge. I kept saying, "I'm sure there's one around the next bend," which there was not, until about 7 miles later after we'd crossed over the State line into Washington. Oops. What adventures. So this weekend, we walked and walked along the beach. The moon was moderately illuminating, and I convinced them to walk all the way to a bluff with trees on it in the distance, which, at the time, I insisted was some sort of haunted forest. When we got closer, it appeared to be a subdivision of rich people's houses, but it looked amazing from afar. Way down the beach, a bonfire flickered, and I tried to convince my pals that it was a small goblin encampment, but by that time, we were all pretty tired and decided to turn back. It was really wonderful. Went to the dog beach, too, which was windy, but the water was warm and the waves were big (I am sure there is a more appropriate term to describe the surf). I also finally started thinking about what sewing triangles together would look like. Using one of many helpful online tutorials, I made these things, which are called "flying geese." The awesome name makes me love them even more.

2 comments:

Holly said...

whenever you feel like you want to carpe the diem in LA - hope on the bus or train and i'll collect you for some fun....

Jill said...

It sounds like you're carpeing the diem just fine. Love the quilt!