Saturday, April 11, 2009

A catalog record of those lurid flourishes




My brother and his wife are expecting their first girl in May (they already have three boys). I have five nephews, all of whom are delightful, but the addition of a niece will of course be different and fun in new ways. To commemorate, I decided to make the new baby (known as Soup) a baby quilt. This was quite an undertaking, considering that I did not know how to sew. When I was home for Christmas, my mom showed me the rudiments. And from there, I practiced and read and sought advice. It didn't turn out perfectly, but I think its imperfections highlight the handmade touch and the love and time that went into it, and I'm really happy with the results. Kasha gave me a lot of good help and advice, and I looked on Crazy Mom Quilts and A Quilt is Nice for some tips and tutorials. In addition to the great binding instructions that Kasha kindly scanned in for me, this youtube video was a helpful guide. I sewed the whole top together with a small but trusty battery-powered hand machine meant for mending. My parents got me a big machine as an early birthday present, which has a walking foot attachment and enabled me to do the binding part. I tied this one and am pleased with how it came out. Next time I'll probably try to actually quilt it with my new machine. I am almost finished with another baby quilt with these same fabrics for another special baby schedule to make his debut in July. Hooray!
More pictures here.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Oh Merideth! It's charming.I love the fabrics you chose.

I can't sew either and this is amazing. I feel inspired now. Maybe I'll have another baby and beg for a quilt?

kasha said...

YAY! i'm SO excited about your first quilt! it looks incredible. wow, well done. the fabrics are fantastic and whimsical and there's no way i could have had the patience to stitch with a mending machine - and your seems look perfect! congratulations, you should be so proud.

plumpdumpling said...

Oh, nevermind. You just answered my last question.