Monday, March 02, 2009

The in-de-fatigue-able league

Lately I have been talking a lot about blocks with my professor. Sometimes it strikes me as funny that I have gone to school for as long as I have only to be able to talk more intelligently about toys and playthings, but I suppose part of adulthood is, in a sense, coming full circle back to childhood. For example, in a few years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if my bladder control were less fine-tuned than it is today. So I have been thinking about lots of different kinds of blocks, and I came across this very attractive HABA set at Blueberry Forest Toys:

I love the curved domes and the rounder shapes that you don't find in a lot of basic geometric block sets, but I am also curious about how kids actually use these blocks. Do you think there is much to do with them other than construct this Kremlin? I would be inclined to say yes, but I also think it'd help if the kid had other block sets to mix and match in with this one.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I'm pretty sure my kids would have no clue how to use those blocks because they have no idea what a Kremlin is. They like to build car garages and houses with triangle block roofs.

Laura said...

I just had these blocks in my hands on Saturday! So intent to buy them, but I didn't and I wrote you a letter on Sunday essentially telling you why not. Instead I went for inexpensive dice within dice and magnetic tangrams (lots of rockets were made in kindergarten today.) I'll mail the letter soon. Take care!
P.S. Word verification = fries! Mmm

lola said...

oo nice