Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Wes Anderson for kids?

One of my favorite past times while vacationing here in the Pacific Northwest is reading books for younger readers, which are always laying about the house just ready to be enjoyed.

This time around, I read The Mysterious Benedict Society, which I'd seen in the store last week and thought interesting. These days I typically approach contemporary juvenile literature with much skepticism, wary that authors have merely appropriated some sort of narrative or generic format of another popular book. There are so many Harry Potter wannabe books, and many Roald Dahl-esque stories. Based on the cover of this one, it looked almost like The Royal Tenenbaums, which is neither a book nor for children. But this book is about a small group of very smart children, and part of it takes place in a tremendous rambling old house:


Uncannily enough, just as The Royal Tenenbaums was followed up with The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Mysterious Benedict Society's sequel also (apparently) deals extensively with seafaring adventure:

I'm not sure if I'll ever get to the sequel or not. The first one has been pretty good, but I don't know if it's good enough to be sequel-worthy. Perhaps next time I'm vacationing here I'll peruse it.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I just purchased "The Mysterious Benedict Society" for someone on a Sub for Santa list. I was to get a book for an 12 year old boy. I hope I picked a decent one? Maybe I'll have to read it sometime.