Tuesday, December 02, 2008

A very strange collision of December firsts

Sometimes as I go about my research, I am surprised to find that I'm reading, for example, an article that was published on the exact same day many years previously. This has happened a number of times over the course of my studies. It is usually relatively insignificant: I happen to be looking at a New York Times article on November 19th, 2008 that was originally published November 19th, 1856, or something similar to that. This evening, however, the evening of December 1st, I momentarily meandered away from the draft of my paper and decided to do a little quick reading on the educational philosophies of John Dewey. Which led me, in a roundabout fashion, to Bennington College (which, I believe, is the school that Franny Glass attended--either that or some girls she talked about). From there, I read about the strange disappearance of Paula Jean Welden, who vanished while hiking one day. The day, coincidentally, was December 1st (1946). Paula's disappearance is only one of a handful that took place in the area (subsequently referred to as the Bennington Triangle) in the 1940s and 1950s. No trace of her was ever found.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I hate unexplained disapperances!