Wednesday, October 29, 2008

That unruly seamstress is still at it

Suddenly--amazingly--the quarter seems to have reached the halfway mark. It is unclear how I've gotten to this point, but here I am, stumbling toward a finish line that is not nearly as hazy and in the distance as I'd like it to be. The 10-week academic term is a real killer when it comes to getting anything done. Perhaps I've lamented about this elsewhere, but each time around, it seems as though just as the momentum has reached its peak, we all go plowing into a brick wall constructed almost entirely from arbitrary deadlines. Sure, some professors wheel out little carts with extensions dangling off of them, but that bonus five days or so rarely yields too much more research time, or enables me to cobble my observations together in a more productive way. Instead, it usually means stewing about school over winter break, slumped over in my holiday sweater with a glazed look on my face. Here's hoping I finish faster this year.

4 comments:

plumpdumpling said...

The great about this is that I can totally picture your mom knitting you a holiday sweater. And since I've never actually seen your mom, I'm picturing her as my old roommate's grandmother. That's a real compliment.

Anyway, I used to LOVE those 10-week quarters at OSU. Not good for getting things done, no, but there's not really much worth doing.

w. leavitt said...

the shit's about to hit the fan out this way too.

la_sale_bete said...

Ha ha! My mom is not much of a knitter, but if she were, she would likely craft me to shield me from the dung-flying that's about to commence. Hooray for school (and holiday sweaters)!

Holly said...

i will knit a sweater for you if you want...what color??