Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tattered Minutes from the Whisker Society's Secret Meeting

The summer is seriously coming to an end, and while my friends either continue slogging to work every morning, or prepare for their first back-to-school days, I am living in a quiet limbo that only lazy Californian students on the lazy Californian quarter system understand. I meet old friends who ask: "are you back for good?" "did you drop out?" and I explain that--against all logic--school does not begin until the end of this month. In this precious remaining time, I am squeezing in as many great memories as I can: a huge dinner at Mara's Homemade with James and Co., meeting up with Dan after a 5 year hiatus (or maybe even a longer one) for a stroll through the treasures at the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market, trip to the Muji store, and to see the "art" at the Whitney, and dinner at Lombardi's with Wisniewskers and Co. So as everyone around me begins easing into the thought of tightly-wound plaid scarves and white skies for months, my mentality is all rope swings and rooftop films. Though I feel that I'm in for a rude awakening soon.

3 comments:

Em said...

At least your life still functions in seasons, or distinguishable parts. Sometimes mine blurs all together because the only structure that can exist is what I create myself.
And frankly, I'm not so good at that part.

emilie said...

my meredith. ah my love. when will you leave ny exactly? there is the possibility that i will make an appearance the first week in october...but, as is too often the case, we may just miss each other.

i've been missing you. love you.

Jill said...

Way to live up your last few days/ weeks in New York. Savor every precious moment.