Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Bubble Machine is Set to "Permanent Thud" and Reaching the Midway Point

Summertime delights have continued. This week, Jamie, Melanie, and I inadvertently attended a birthday party for a terrier named Winston, who was wearing a cute polo shirt. Guests included a small, fluffy creature (presumably another dog), and a cocker spaniel named Happy who was in the charge of a completely incompetent little girl. We got to wander around and sit in the park with T. Schwartz and talk about old times and new. Sprout and Leroy--the wild cat--met one another but had precious little to discuss . In Union Square I saw a little boy dressed like Spiderman and an old man smoking out of a pipe shaped like an enormous bulldog's head. Jeppink and I searched in vain for an enormous dome constructed of hula hoops, some of which are apparently glow-in-the-dark.

It is 100 degrees with about 100 percent humidity, so a lot of time is spent languishing around the house, which is a perfectly valid way to pass the time. One exception to this was going to see Mamma Mia, which was about as good as a movie based on a musical based on ABBA's music could be. But Meryl Streep is amazing, and who couldn't love an entire Greek Village of women sashaying down to the shore and jumping into the ocean? I made a video game called Pizza Man. I sustained another minor skateboarding injury (on the outside of my right ankle) and had to crawl underneath a Toyota Sienna to retrieve the offending board, which leapt marvelously from underneath my feet. This evening: some BBQ and a discussion about Antarctica.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Completely entertained by your blog, as usual. You're still my favorite writer! I started a blog today and I need to send you the link (www.dickeyfam.blogspot.com) because there is a small shout out to you in it. Love you so much. Keep posting and I hope that someday in the near future we will meet again preferably during a lovley holiday in NEW YORK!