Monday, August 20, 2007

LUGNUT AT THE CENTER OF MY SCOPO-VERSE

So here I am at home, re-connecting with what I thought was my spirit animal, thinking about how time goes by quickly and slowly, and considering picking up that Farley Mowat reader that's accumulating dust on the bookshelf. I spend my days reading about narwhals, about Jacques Tati, and about the guy who started the Apparat Organ Quartet. It's nice being somewhere slower. I finally feel like some of those urban tensions are beginning to unspool in a heap at my feet. And while it's a relief, a new dark clouds pass by now and then: fears about dimly-lit strip malls at night, the sadness/disgust of As Seen on TV products, amazement that people can be satisfied with the same coffee cups and patterned curtains for twenty plus years. How peculiar it is that I can only see one part of the world at a time. It's a physical impossibility, that's for sure, but beyond that, it's as though I've got the memory of a goldfish, always forgetting that everything is so much larger. On the one hand, I know that I can see beyond the forlorn, poorly- painted jungle gym and the empty sidewalks flanking empty streets, but I've also got to remember that even if my horizon did stop there, it'd still be all right.

No comments: