Tuesday, April 18, 2006

SAWING OFF MY OWN KNUCKLES

On Easter I went to mass. Not because I'm Catholic, because I'm not, but because an acquaintance was playing the organ and promised a hell-of-a postlude song, which he delivered. Now not being Catholic, this was my first mass, but I was delighted to see the casual spirit of the place. It's my understanding that Catholics vary in their particular traditions, some practicing in very orthodox manners, others granting women and donkeys the priesthood, and this parish, the parish of Old St. Patrick's, was pretty laid back, relatively speaking. People could come in wearing whatever they wanted (though it's safe to say that the ones in their Easter pastels were the most beloved). One woman even drank from a Dean and Deluca coffee cup throughout the service, which proved tricky considering all of the unpredictable standing and sitting and kneeling. When I chose to abstain from the kneeling, one young fellow rather forwardly pointed me out to his mother, but she didn't notice too much, as she was busy breastfeeding her infant. Since it was Easter, the priest's speech or whatever was all about great comebacks. Over the course of the service, he saw fit to compare Jesus to Michael Jordan and Mohammad Ali. The analogy went that while Michael and Mr. Ali were great athletes that had retired and made great comebacks, in the end, they'd still had to re-retire. Jesus, on the other hand, is here to stay. The whole thing was peppered with what I think were prayers and the priest saying nice things to us and the congregation mumbling what I presume were nice things back. Plus, the cathedral was beautiful. The architecture was magnificent and there were crumbling shrines and statues galore. The only thing that could have made it better is if they'd hidden Easter eggs in all the nooks and crannies.

1 comment:

sean_garmire said...

Just a thought about the Parish's analogy: Just like Mike, Jesus was black.