Wednesday, August 03, 2005

SO THIS IS AN AMERICAN TRADITION

Yesterday after realizing that I'd never attended a baseball game before, I decided to accompany my friend from Milwaukee to the Brewers/Mets game and get a good dose of what everyone's calling the greatest American pasttime ever. Shea Stadium is a mere hop, skip, and a jump down the 7 line and once we'd arrived, paid $4.50 for hot dogs (which were delicious, but come on) and settled into some seats, the fun kept going for 4+ hours. Now, apparently a baseball game typically has 9 innings. For some reason last night, maybe because they knew I was there and wanted to make it real special, they played for 11. It was funny being there with a Brewers fan, because it meant that we were getting excited at exactly the opposite times that everyone else was, which garnered plenty of mean looks from those around us. I am surprised baseball players don't go totally crazy more often, given that they have to listen to the same selections of music played over and over between the plays. I mean, the Mortal Kombat theme and 'Take me out to the ballgame' have their places on certain (infrequently played) playlists, but it was enough to drive you bonkers. Another surprise was how sassy all the fans were. There wasn't too much cheering for good sportsmanship, instead, largish men would stand up, popcorn and beer cascading off of and down their stomachs, and yell at the players as if they knew them personally. "Come on, Cliff!" and then use a plenty of swear words, which I don't think you're supposed to do. All in all, although the Brewers lost (and I think that was the team I was supposed to be rooting for), I did narrowly escape catching a fly ball (I sat there while people of all ages clambored around me like it was the hope diamond) it was a good time. And we sang the song from "A League of their Own," something that I always love the opportunity to do.

No comments: