Tuesday, October 26, 2004

A ZIGZAG HAIRCUT IN TIME FOR THE HOLIDAYS

Today in the library I carefully eyed a completely old pea green filing cabinet, wishing its drawers would spring open and shoot up all of its carefully indexed cards into the air in a flutter of ancient manila typography and cross references, celebrating knowledge not in any rigid, constructed manner, but just to glorify that it’s there. Alas, the drawers stayed shut, as did the hearts and minds (presumably) of myself and those around me who were huddled over their papers strewn out on the broad, white tables. Maybe I need to quit sitting timidly waiting for miracles to happen and instead provoke them myself. In that case, it’d be miraculous if I didn’t pass out from fright while trying to instigate them. Still, it seems much more worthwhile than stopping to look for them at all.

No comments: