Friday, October 08, 2004

BRANDISHING THE MOST ORNATE NAPKIN RINGS

There are some big fireworks going on outside; I can’t see them, but I hear them booming from somewhere beyond the next building over. From the sound of it, they’re quite a sight. Tonight we saw “Red Lights” at the Angelika, which was creepy enough, and had the added thrill of trains running under us every couple of minutes and shaking the floor. What a way to heighten the cinematic experience. I seem to have taken a liking to establishments that prominently feature an exposed fly strip somewhere on the premises. My first such encounter was at the Triplake Variety in West Poland, Maine. In lieu of a mirror in the bathroom (just past a huge shelf of canned oddities) there was a filthy fly strip just dangling there. I loved that place. Then more recently there was the Falafels and More, which had it just by the counter where you order. Alas, it has been removed since my last visit. Maybe they’re going to hang up another one? If not I’ll have to find a new place that so proudly displays the buggies caught in the air.

No comments: